BRITNEY SPEARS PIECE OF ME TOUR REVIEW: 2018


 

I've been a fan of Britney Spears for years and have wanted to see her Piece of Me show during her Vegas residency for a long time, but haven't been able to because I live on the other side of the country. A few months ago, she announced that the Piece of Me summer tour was going to be coming to the East Coast and Europe, one of them being the city I live in! In today's post, I'm going to be sharing my experience from that concert. Enjoy!

The strongest parts were definitely the beginning and end of the concert. She opened with "Work Bitch", which was the perfect song for the intro. It was so much fun to hear the whole crowd yell "you better work bitch!!" and see some actually doing the choreography along with her. 

The next song she played was "Womanizer", which is such an iconic song from her discography and also great to hear live. She then played two of her biggest songs, "...Baby One More Time" and "Oops...I Did It Again". She slowed down the tempo on these songs, which was something she actually did several times throughout the show with some of her other biggest songs. 




Every 3 or 4 songs there would be an interlude where Britney would leave the stage for several minutes - which happened at least 6 times. Some of these interludes felt too long and redundant as the show progressed. Sometimes there would just be videos on the screen, while other times it was just her dancers on stage with one of her songs playing - but she wasn't there. It actually felt like she was supposed to be on stageduring some of those parts. 

Most of the set in the middle of the show was taken up by newer songs from her 2016 album Glory, with a few classics sprinkled in throughout. I was surprised by how many songs she played from it since with the exception of maybe 2 of the songs, they aren't really hits. I could tell that the crowd wasn't really into some of those songs either since no one had their phones out recording or taking pictures during that time like they were during literally every other song. Glory actually is a pretty good album and I do like a lot of the songs, but for some reason it didn't translate well to the stage. 

One part that was kind of funny that I wanted to mention was a random Missy Elliot medley midway through the show. Britney was actually on stage for this, "singing" these songs - but I'm 99% sure it was just Missy Elliot's voice - with Britney's mouth moving to the words. It's not a secret that she lip-synchs through most (or all) of her shows, but someone could've at least pre-recorded her singing that part - or better yet left it out all together - since it didn't really make much sense to begin with lol.
 




Like I mentioned earlier, the encore was one of the highlights of the night. She started it with a slowed-down intro into "Toxic", which then picked up to be the normal speed. If I had to pick my all-time favorite Britney song, I would definitely choose "Toxic", as I'm sure a lot of others would, as well. In my opinion, that is one of the best pop songs of all time. 

She then played a medley of "Stronger" and "(You Drive Me) Crazy" , which had the whole crowd on their feet singing along to every word. Believe it or not, but I think she was actually singing this part live. 


The final song of the night was "Till The World Ends" which has been another one of my favorite Britney songs since it came out in 2011 (I remember it being my favorite song when I was in seventh grade! 😄)




Overall, if you're a fan of Britney and have never seen her live before, I definitely recommend going if you ever have the chance. Seeing her is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity for me since aside from her Vegas residency, she really doesn't go on tour like this. I'm really happy that I got to see her in person and it was overall such a great night. 

Comment below what your favorite Britney Spears songs are and if you've ever seen her in concert!

-Melissa

follow me!

Comments

Popular Posts

GUTS by Olivia Rodrigo // Album Review

Olivia Rodrigo & Noah Kahan // Stick Season & Lacy Live at the BBC // Record Store Day 2024 Exclusive 7" Vinyl

SAFIYA NYGAARD x COLOURPOP COLLECTION REVIEW 🦇♥

ARIANA GRANDE GOD IS A WOMAN FRAGRANCE REVIEW

Re: This Is Why by Paramore // 2024 Record Store Day Exclusive Ruby Red Vinyl