Fall Favorites: 2017


Listed below are some of my favorites from beauty, music and books of fall 2017. Enjoy!

Beauty

 "Give Me Mocha": Wet n Wild Liquid Catsuit 


This is one of my favorite liquid lipstick formulas that I have tried from both drugstore and high-end. I have it in the shade "Give Me Mocha" which is the perfect burgundy lip color that goes great with so many outfits and makeup looks. This is one of my most used lipsticks for the past few weeks and it is the perfect shade for fall!


Check out my full review of this liquid lipstick and some of my other favorites here:

"Yes, Please!" Pressed Eyeshadow Palette: Colourpop 


I have been non-stop using this palette since I first bought it earlier in the summer. I have gotten so much use out of it for creating summer looks and even more so now with the transition into fall! It has 12 warm-toned shades, all of which are very pigmented and easy to blend. It also has some unique matte shades that are hard to find good quality options of  from the drugstore, such as a matte orange, yellow, and red. One of my favorites is "Louie" (first shadow, second row), which is described on Colourpop.com as a "metallic duo chrome red with a gold flip". I love layering this shade on top of a metallic gold base (my go-to is Colourpop's Super Shock Shadow in the shade "Weenie"), which adds a unique red hue to the gold shadow. Another favorite of mine is "Big Cocktails" (second shadow, first row) and is a very pigmented bright orange with a matte finish. 


Check out my full review here: Colourpop "Yes, Please!" Palette: Review

"Bella": NYX Liquid Suede Metallic Cream Lipstick


I was so excited when I first heard that NYX was coming out with a new metallic lip formula, as I still have not found a metallic lipstick that I loved. NYX came out with The Cosmic Metals Lip Cream last year, and it really wasn't the best lip product in NYX's range of makeup. It was very wet and glossy and wore off in the matter of an hour (I have the shade "Galactic"). Thankfully, this Liquid Suede Metallic formula is much better and wears for several hours before fading. It is basically the same as the normal NYX Liquid Suede Cream Lipsticks, just with a metallic finish. I have the shade "Bella" which is described on Ulta.com as a "deep reddish copper". It dries matte with little transfer, which is something I haven't seen from any other metallic liquid lipsticks. Since it isn't a metallic gloss, the matte finish is very subtle and wearable for everyday use. This is my favorite metallic liquid lipstick formula I have tried (out of Colourpop, Kylie Cosmetics and NYX Cosmic Metals). When I bought this at Ulta there were several other shades that caught my eye, so I will be sure to go back and try out some more! If you are looking to try out the metallic lipsticks without spending too much money, this is a great option for you!



"Kitten Karma": Magnificent Metals Glitter & Glow Liquid Eyeshadow


I have been using "Kitten Karma" nearly everyday since I bought it. Recently I have loved using it as an eyeliner on my lower lash line to add a pop of glitter. I also tried using it by itself without any shadow or base underneath and it looked really nice for a few hours but it eventually did crease, so I would recommend using some kind of primer underneath to prevent it. Whenever I wear it all over the lid on top of eyeshadow, there is no creasing and minimal fallout. This product is very versatile and I see it being very usable for all times of the year, especially during the upcoming holiday season.




"Papillon": Stila MATTE'ificent Lipstick


This is a very comfortable and long lasting Stila lipstick that I have been wearing almost everyday at school for the past few weeks. It originally retails for $22, but I was able to get it for 50% off at Ulta during the 21 Days of Beauty sale in September, making it only $11. The shade pictured above is "Papillon", which is a neutral pink. I also bought a shade called "Coquille", a taupe nude shade. Both of them are the same formula wise.

The gold packaging is so pretty, however it is very small and thin and there isn't much product in the tube. For comparison purposes, this lipstick has .7 oz of product, whereas the Jeffree Star Cosmetics Lip Ammunition Lipstick has .12 oz of product. Even if you want to buy a high-end lipstick, there are others that are the same price (and some that are a few dollars cheaper) that have more product in it with the same or better quality. If you are able to get a discount on this product like I was able to, then it is definitely worth it but I don't think it is worth $22 because it is just not enough product to justify the price.


Music

Flicker: Niall Horan


Niall Horan's debut album is easily one of my favorite albums of 2017. During the very early years of One Direction, Niall was never in my opinion the strongest singer of the group, but he has shown so much growth since then. Everything from the lyrics, to the vocals, to the instrumentals is just so incredible and so different from everything else that is popular today. I had very high hopes for this album before it came out and Flicker has exceeded all of my expectations. I've been loving most of the solo music that the former members of One Direction has been releasing over the past year and a half, but this is one of the best. Every single song is just so good on this album and I haven't stopped listening to it since it came out! 

 My favorites:
On The Loose
This Town
Seeing Blind
Too Much To Ask
Since We're Alone
Flicker
You And Me
On My Own
Mirrors


Pure Heroine: Lorde 

Image result for lorde pure heroine

Even though this album came out in 2013, for some reason I am just now listening to Pure Heroine in its entirety. Melodrama, Lorde's newest album, has been on repeat since the day it came out earlier in the summer and is one my favorite albums of all time. From her debut album I only ever listened to the singles such as, "Royals", "Team" and "Tennis Court", but I have since found that the rest of the album is so much better than the radio hits. I love the messages of the songs and how different the sound is from every other female pop singer right now. I'm so happy I finally discovered this album!

My favorites:
Tennis Court
400 Lux
Ribs
Buzzcut Season
Team 
Glory And Gore
A World Alone

Buy it here!

American Teen: Khalid

Image result for khalid american teen
I've been listening to this album nonstop for the past few months since Khalid was recommended to me by Spotify. Khalid is a really talented musician and I definitely recommend checking out his music if you haven't yet!

My favorites:
Young Dumb & Broke
Location
Another Sad Love Song
Saved
8TEEN
Winter


Buy it here!

Books

"Adultolescence" by Gabbie Hanna


There has been so many YouTubers who wrote books within the past few years and many of them don't really have anything to write about and it is just boring. "Adultolescence", is such a unique concept and very different than all of the other vlogger memoirs. It is a collection of beautiful poems that Gabbie Hanna (aka TheGabbieShow) wrote with corresponding cartoons that she illustrated herself. All of the drawings are really well done and match the message of each poem perfectly. The poems cover a range of different topics, many of which I found very touching and relatable. There really is something for everyone here. 

Gabbie also released a song recently called "Out Loud", which is inspired from a poem called "Ghost" from her book. Much like her book, is in no way another mediocre attempt at a YouTuber trying to branch out. It is a well written song, with a very powerful and confident chorus. I cant wait to hear more music from her!

You don't even need to be a fan of Gabbie or even know who she is to read this book, it is perfect for anyone to pick up and enjoy. 

"The Princess Saves Herself In This One" by Amanda Lovelace

the princess saves herself in this one

Amanda Lovelace did a great job of making the reader feel very empathetic for the situations she was writing and making us feel like we were actually a part of her life. I love how she incorporated the mythological theme of the title into the poems by referring to some of the people as "princess", "queen", "king", "dragon", etc. It added a very unique twist on how one would interpret the poems. Many were very heartbreaking, but I loved seeing the main character come out on the other end stronger then ever before. The overall message of the book is very empowering and relatable.

I have never heard of Amanda Lovelace before picking up this book. I saw it for the first time in Target a few weeks ago and the title and cover immediately caught my eye. After flipping through some of the pages in the store, I knew I had to read it in its entirety and I'm very happy I did!

She is releasing another book in March 2018 called "the witch doesn't burn in this one" and another in 2019 called "the mermaid's voice returns in this one". I am so excited to read them!



Thank you so much for checking out my blog! Comment below some of your fall favorites and let me know what you think of some of mine! Come back soon for more posts!!
-Melissa

Comments

Popular Posts

Olivia Rodrigo & Noah Kahan // Stick Season & Lacy Live at the BBC // Record Store Day 2024 Exclusive 7" Vinyl

Re: This Is Why by Paramore // 2024 Record Store Day Exclusive Ruby Red Vinyl

SAFIYA NYGAARD x COLOURPOP COLLECTION REVIEW 🦇♥

The 1975: Live at Gorilla // Record Store Day Exclusive Vinyl 2024

GUTS by Olivia Rodrigo // Album Review